Blog Entry 17/03/2017

Texture Adjustments and Scene Tidying


I started assembling my hand in the version for the dissertation by starting to clean

up the scene and deciding on a naming convention. Each scene that I will

present will include 3 LOD models, meaning all sections have been attached,

they will also hold the name “Type”_”LODdetail”_LOD  for example

“Corvette_HIGH_LOD”. I’ve also cleaned up my material editor ready for when I

bring in all my textures, making sure I’ve only got 1 muti sub-object with up 9

materials present. As far as the pre-export checks, I’ve already completed this

and since I havent modelled anything extra, they should have remained correct.

Figure 1. Destroyer LODs

Figure 2. Corvette LODs

Texture Adjustments 

Re-doing AO Maps

I had completed my AO maps in Zbrush already but I wasn’t that happy with them

since they were fairly washed out and didn’t capture any of the greeble detail.

So I went and re-did them in 3DS Max. Though I had to import a fairly high poly

model into 3DS Max ~ 2 million, causing a bit of a slowdown, I was able to

obtain a much greater AO map which did indeed capture the greeble in the

channel itself, Heres the Max render of AO which it generates automatically.

Figure 3. AO Map projected onto one of the sections

Adding Roughness & Metallic

I may have used “specular” in several places during my blogs, but since I’m using a

PBR workflow, I need to conform to the terminology for that workflow. So

I’ve gone an added Roughness and Metallic maps now to each section. Using

BitmapToMaterial, I best tried to get a metallic surface and so fine tuned the

settings to achieve a material which was partly reflective (Roughness) but also

retained the coarse look of metal (Metallic). Here are my results.

Figure 4. Roughness Map

Figure 5. Metallic Map

Figure 6. Render with all maps bar height map applyied in 3DS Max.