Blog Entry 23/12/2016
Completion of UVs and 3DS Max to Zbrush workflow
So all of my three models have UVs sorted and within the 0-1 boundaries now,
some are discreet UVs while some are overlapping. The reason for overlapping
some of the models UVs was to save time and space, as most things were
symmetrical, meaning I could just flip the texture to the other side. Over the
next week I want to go through the process of pre-export checks, and giving
final checks to see how the UVs wrap around the model, making sure the
texture is not stretched. Figure 1.(Image)
To give myself some idea of the workflow of bringing my models into ZBrush from
3DS Max, I wanted to take a section of the battleship model and put it through a
mock texturing run. I started by exporting the section I would be working with
into ZBrush out of Max, making sure that it was turbo-smoothed Figure 2.
(Image) to ensure I wasn’t exporting tris and only quads, this to suit the way
ZBrush deals with the mesh.
A few settings needed to be applied to the model after being imported to allow the
model to retain shape Figure 3.(Image) when subdividing the model those
-Geometry – Crease – CreaseAll
-Geometry – Turn SMT off
These two settings don’t allow the program to smooth and lose hard edges,
something I’m trying to keep. I can now successfully divide the mesh up to
around 16 million polys.
To be able to poly paint onto the surface of the model, the model needs UVs, so I
ran through a checklist of things which ensure I am ready to paint. Figure 4.
-UV Map – Make sure delete UV button is highlighted(Means there’s UVs)
-UV Map – UV Map Size 4096
-PolyPaint – Colorize highlighted
-Top Tool Bar – Zadd Off
-Top Tool Bar – Rgb On
-Change the material ball to white
Now the model is in a position to be painted on.
For a quick and easy way of texturing quickly, I’m going to use the projection
tool to apply a wood texture to the model once again. I’m using the wood
texture for the same reasons when inside of 3DS Max, those being, that it helps
visualise any stretching of the texture and seeing if the detail of the wood
is successfully captured in the UVs. Figure 5.(Image) I kept switching between
Rgb and Zadd when using the projection tool, as I could grab some of the detail
and place it in the geometry using normal maps, baking it down onto the
After exporting both diffuse and normal maps, I pulled everything together into
Unity Figure 6&7.(Image) to get an idea of how the detail came through. I have
to say I’m really pleased with how it came through, If I ensure the UVs are as
neat in the other sections I can be confident of similar results if not better for
the other sections when I’ll be able to spend much more time texturing them.