Blog Entry 16/12/2016

Update of the UV Unwrapping

 


As with last week, I’ve started using Textools to gain the same texture resolution

across my models. Now this has the adverse effect of blooming your UVS out of

the 0-1. To combat this I’ve decided on taking a step many modellers use on for

example gun assets, in which they break up the model into sections to enable

individual UVs, thus greater detail. As my models are large in scale, following a

similar method ensures I can achieve high texture quality for my models as each

sections UVs will get a greater amount of space in the 0-1 boundaries.Figure

1&2(Image)

 

Figure 1. One section on the corvette type model

Figure 2. The sections UV map, As you can you see the polys will get a greater texture density as a result of being much larger in the 0-1.

After I’d completed dividing the sections up, I scaled everything down a fraction

losing a slight amount of resolution in the process, but with the tradeoff benefit

of the UVs becoming easier to fit. I made sure visually that the resolution was

correct around all the models by using checker textures, making sure that

seams were hidden on edges and not down the centre of where two sections

met. To further validate the resolution I used a basic wood texture with grain to

ensure that the UVs flowed in the same direction. This step made it a lot easier

in the identification of any UVs that had become stretched in the process or

were facing each other off.Figure 3&4(Image)

Figure 3. Battleship Section, Note all lines travelling in the same direction, No poly UVs facing off to each other.

Figure 4. That Sections UVs, Simple clean UVs make texturing so much easier.

So this is the most important process, and I want to get it right, I’m on schedule for

my milestones currently so I really want to achieve a good UV foundation for

which I can start texturing in Zbrush January time.