Blog Entry 30/10/2016
Modelling Start: Battleship
Trying to place the engines within my initial designs was difficult, with
everything focused around sharp angles, it became tricky to fit them in.
Proportion and silhouette were the two factors I was trying to satisfy; I could
lose the profile I was trying to achieve by bolting big bulky engines to the
bottom for example. But I couldn’t satisfy the proportion by placing them at the
rear because of the very acute angle the back was drawn. This would have made
the engines minuscule and didn’t suit the large scale battleship I’m modelling. I
reached a compromise on the middle section in which the bridge ends in an
acute point. I went from this sharp point to a flat face Figure 1.(Image), this
didn’t damage the silhouette to negatively and allowed me to fit suitably sized
engines in the rear of the ship. I made a mock up drawing to help me find an
arrangement which looks natural but also to help in the modelling stage.
I’ve created platforms for which the main guns will be mounted, taken from my
design drawings, but I needed to think about the type of turret I wanted. The
dual turret was something which is striking to the eye Figure 2.(Image), it looks
menacing and is something I’m seeking to employ to get my specify response.
The use of triangles is again at play and will make up the shape of the barrel
with the rectangle nature of the gun body signifying the reliability of the
weapons themselves. Given the high poly counts I can effectively greeble the
surface of these guns as well, and even though this may take some time, I can
use these turret models in all the ships I’m creating.
These are some screen grabs of the battleship so far after the first week. Figure
3,4,5(image) I will continue to find the shape I’m looking for before I start
cutting in detail to the model.